Thread: Mounting bottle cage on older frames without mounts.

Sport

Default Mounting bottle cage on older frames without mounts.

As per title. - Need to fit a bottle cage onto the old Indi which does not have any bottle cage mounts.

Not keen on those metal strips, mainly because they will scratch, and look tacky:

I did come across this - but looks too bulky.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/quick-r...le-black-69273

Any ideas?

Get the ones that bolt to your seat and sit behind your bum.

Drill frame, add nutserts.
    If Di2 was so intelligent, it would have a feature where, when you parked the bike, it shifted to the big ring so you didn't look like a lombard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Drifter View Post
    This.

Just get it done, it wouldn't be costly and it would look factory. Added bonus is there are no clamps or gadgets to scratch the paint or rust or look dorky.

Or just use a Camelbak.

Grumps

That black quick release thing - yech. Looks awful. If you were to use that on the bike, clip it to the seatpost. Preferably, clip it to the workstand and never let it see the freedom of the road.

Grumps

Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Drifter View Post
    I just did this with an old frame I use for commuting and it is great. I was running bottles behind the seat until the mount broke, so I took the time to put the nutserts in and wish I'd done it earlier. Forget the clamps.

Bottles behind the seat is a great way to say "Yeah, FUCK practicality, I don't need bottle mounts! Oh wait, I really regret this poor previous decision"

In your case, it's an old bike so you are safe from this lashing.

Sport

Get the proper bidon mounts brazed in or you've somewhat weakened the frame. Those expandable threaded inserts are not meant for convex surfaces.

If you search for ozbikestar on ebay .. he sells braze on's for frame building.

Alternatively if you're the DIY type .. get yourself a MAP gas torch, some silver soldering flux and some 14% silver braze rods and learn to braze and you can add whatever braze on's you like (takes a lot longer to get the heat into the tube than with oxy/acetelene but with patience it works just as well) I've been using this method for the past couple of years on about 5 or 6 frames now adding down tube shifter bosses, bidon mounts, brake cable guides etc.
    Last edited by lunar_c; 16-04-12 at 10:27 AM.