Thread: Long term bike storage

Beginner

Default Long term bike storage

Hey guys,

heading overseas for a lengthy period 1-2 years pending job situation.
    was wondering if there was any recommendations re:long term mountain bike storage

so initial things like:
    - Cleaning the bike
    - lubing chain, cables etc
    - inflating tires

but also "How to store"
    i.e.
    - Gearing (least amt of tension)
    - Storing horiztontally? vertically? would this cause any issues with hydro brakes?

any tips appreciated!
    Cheers

Like anything, after a period of inactivity stuff needs to be done before you use it. But as you say, there are things you can do to lessen any ravages of time while it's not in use.

Cleaning the bike? Yep. give it a good clean and get any gunge out of the drivetrain.
    Lubing the chain, once it's clean can't hurt. Same with cables.
    Inflating the tyres? Why, you expect them to hold air for a year? They'll deflate soon enough anyway.

Gearing doesn't matter assuming it's indexed shifting, the detents in the shifters hold the cable and assuming they are already stretched and settled from use, removing tension won't do anything.

Doesn't matter which way you store it. Upside down and the brakes may bleed air into the caliper, the simple solution there is to stand the bike upright and tie the lever to the bar with an elastic band. The pressure helps any air bubbles move back to the reservoir.

I'd be putting a little bit of lube around the fork and shock seals just to keep them supple. Otherwise just expect to give it a once over before you ride it.

I've had bikes that I haven't ridden for a year or so and they haven't been a huge issue to pick up, check over and start using again.

Grumps
    Self confessed De Rosa fanboy.

Beginner

awesome.. great tips!
    thanks grumps!

so no issues with storing the bike vertically.. just make sure levers are depressed to decrease chances of air bleeding into the caliper

Nah, what I mean is when you have had the bike upside down and air floats to the caliper. If that happens, ever, a simple solution is to tie the lever to the bar (with the bike on its feet) and let the air bubble rise to the reservoir.

I've got a set of Avid Juicy Ultimates that for some reason seem to lose lever feel after a couple of days of non-use. The night before a ride, I rubber-band the lever closed and next morning, the brakes feel great at the lever.

So it's more of a general tip than anything.

Grumps
    Self confessed De Rosa fanboy.

Tubeless tyres? If so empty as much seleant as you can out. It'll bunch and dry and hardern and just be generally shit.
    . . . . .

i'd recommend putting the gears set on the smallest cog
    Having least stretch on the springs of the derailer