Thread: 29er Wheelset.

Default 29er Wheelset.

Currently have 2500g wheelset for my 29 SS but looking to put road tires on these for commuting and purchase a second set with MTB tires.

Looking for a wheelset around 1800g - 2000g or less, 9mm QR front. Disc Compatable.

Price? what you think is reasonable say around $200-250 give or take.

Second hand you would probably find something....

If you want new i always recomend TWE for wheels.

Mine cost $899 and were 1800 odd grams with an XX cassette and tubeless tape/valves but thats a lot more than your indicated budget
    My garage - 88.5 Haro Sport, 2009 Trek Remedy 9 (For Sale)

Wish I had that kind of money to spend, but a second set of wheels is kind of silly enough lol

Not to mention the other 2 bikes I own.

I'm also thinking maybe I just need a rear wheel? As my roadie front wheel fits in my MTB fork (yes I wont have a front brake but 160mm disc on the rear should be plenty with the road tires?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike485 View Post
    I'm also thinking maybe I just need a rear wheel? As my roadie front wheel fits in my MTB fork (yes I wont have a front brake but 160mm disc on the rear should be plenty with the road tires?)
    Perfect solution, until you grab a handful of front brake in a panic stop, and the pistons pop out of the caliper or jam closed. In other words, don't do it.

Or, you could put a spacer in there when the rotor isn't in place. Perfect solution, until you grab a handful of brake in a panic stop and the back wheel locks and you skid into the danger zone, the last thought going through your mind being "that's the underframe of a B-Double". In other words, don't do it.

Okay, enough dramatising...

Your wheelset is 2500g!? Didn't know they made rims in cast iron.

When I built my 29er I kept an eye out on eBay for second hand wheels and found a lot around the 2kg mark for not a load of money. A lot of bikes come with a stock wheelset that is fairly hefty and they end up the first thing to get upgraded. You should be able to get something around the 1800 mark for $250 - $300.

For the record, I ended up building my own wheels, Sun rims on Hope hubs with double butted spokes. They came in around 1600g bare.

Grumps
    Self confessed De Rosa fanboy.

I certainly wouldnt be running nothing by way of brakes up front thats for sure. As Uncle has said, your instincts cut in and you could end up in a world of pain
    My garage - 88.5 Haro Sport, 2009 Trek Remedy 9 (For Sale)

Wise words Uncle Grumpy, well I havent weighed my wheels but i think they were advertised at 2300g+ skewers etc. I bought the wheelset for dirt cheap and when I originally set up the 29er as a single speed it was just a cheap experiment to see if I liked 29ers, so basicall bought all cheapo parts for her.

Now I know the frame is steel and its not going to get silly light in weight but you definently feel the weight of these bad boys although they do make excellent training wheels though

I have been keeping an eye out on flebay for a while now but thought I'd check in here as well.

I've thought about building my own wheels up as well. But I think this will cost me a lot more as buying in parts usually is but you do get exactly what you want.

All sorted bought some wheels (impulse buy) but didn't fit (I know, I should have double checked size)

Anyway I found this guy who builds wheels in his spare time for extra cash and made him and offer he couldn't refuse lol.

All I can say is I streched my budget a smidgen and decided to have one wheelset instead of two ordinary wheelsets. So I'm selling both wheelset, one is already sold just waiting on the other to be sold

The new wheelset should come in at 1710g with skewers, rim strips etc I've got to be happy with that.

At more than 500g+ off the oldwheelset I'm really looking forward to riding these.

Will post pics when I recieve new wheelset.