Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goliath?

I realise advertising is a fixed spend, so a banner costs $300. But I dare say they would put the biggest spend in of any advertiser (a double page spread for multiple issues?).

Either way, it takes balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat. View Post

On a side note: a friend of mine recently bought a rock shock reverb seatpost for 360 on crc, when the local rrp is $350,
    your friend is fucking stoopid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat. View Post
    I realise advertising is a fixed spend, so a banner costs $300. But I dare say they would put the biggest spend in of any advertiser (a double page spread for multiple issues?).

Either way, it takes balls.
    How does it take balls? It was an email outlining everything CRC already know from behind a keyboard. I've said it before and I'll say it again CRC offer great service, gear and prices. I could not even source half the kit I wanted for my last build in NZ and most other bike shops could not give a shit.

Funny how people think he is a hero and then go ride bikes with CRC kit hanging off it!

Good on this guy. It won't make a difference though.
    Last edited by singletrack; 12-11-12 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
    Good on this guy. It won't make a difference though.
    No offence, but that's a shit attitude. That's my opinion.
    . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lorday View Post
    No offence, but that's a shit attitude. That's my opinion.
    I think the blame game is far more wide spread than pointing soley at CRC. CRC still needs suppliers, the very same ones that supply and turned their backs bike shops.

Maybe this dude should email all of them too. I suggest he includes a lol cat for impact. That should do it.

Last edited by singletrack; 12-11-12 at 08:28 PM.

Some comments on the Zen Garage article:

Gerard A Thomas (@antipodean_g)
    I’ll be the first to lament what CRC has done to the industry but to be honest, it’s not as clear as a bunch of Irish guys destroying the industry. The unknown reality is that most brands happily negotiate with CRC to sell current or run out stock; CRC’s reach and business model makes them the #1 place to clear excess stock for many, many brands. I know of several brands that have met with CRC to negotiate on the pricing CRC was selling thier stuff and and this sort of thing is not unusual at all.
    The questions that need to be asked are much deeper than pointing fingers at CRC, Wiggle etc. They should be put the the brands that are double dipping, saying they support the traditonal chanels of sale, then knowingly contradict this by working with the likes of CRC to clear their own shelves.
    So while many complain about what CRC does and is doing, how many ask the questions of the brands that CRC sells?

im
    While I agree that the large chains have had a largely negative impact on the role of the local bike shop, (although it can be argued that the increased availabilty of products and competition has led to cycling becoming more accessible – how many local bike shops still have their heads up their butts with their elitist attitudes), singling out CRC for merely enquiring over advertising is perhaps a bit harsh. CRC are just one of many, Wiggle, Evans, PBK, etc etc. Why not target them all instead of singling out one?
    There are arguments both ways. Big retailers increase the availability of products and make the sport more popular. Smaller retailers suffer unless they can offer a quality service.
    Unfortunately, certainly in the UK, a large amount of traditional retailers are so arrogant they put people off buying. I own a mid range Kona CX bike which i did buy online. I did shop locally first but found that both local bike shops to me, unless you were riding 200km+ a week, had all the latest gear or were willing to buy their chosen brand had very little interest in serving you. Then again, their are some great traditional retailers that are struggling.

Also discussion on http://www.fixed.org.au/:
    http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f10/i...es-rant-25754/

I think it all comes down to moving with the times...... if you dont want to move with them prepare to be consumed by those that do.

To blame CRC for leading the way was pretty harsh if you ask me.

I think the fact the guy is so scared that CRC can destroy the local BMX business is enough to say that something is wrong with it.

If the local shops were so great people wouldnt resort to online shopping would they?
    My garage - 88.5 Haro Sport, 2009 Trek Remedy 9 (For Sale)

At Zen Garage I've had a fair few customers order goods online and pay for delivery even though they live literally in the same suburb. I mean seriously?! I think definitely this is a reflection on moving with the times. There's no doubt the Zen Garage online shop does better than in-store. Most of the purchases are made late at night too. Trigger happy midnight sesh buy now button clicking!

Having said all that. I place a lot of value on the offline shop. Love it that people drop in for a chin wag, breaks up my day nicely.

I am away from home 12 hours of my working days so the last thing i want to do is waste my Saturday driving around to pick up parts for what ever it is. Be it bike parts, car parts, RC car parts etc

If i can sit back in the comfort of my electric leather recliner watching my fave Foxtel show and buy stuff at prices considerably cheaper than any store in Sydney could offer i am going to shop online. You will save $15 here, $20 there, but if it helps to put fuel in my petrol tank to get me to work to make more money to spend online then why not lol

I know i should support local stores and help keep the dollars here, develop a relationship with them and you will hopefully get a discount etc etc etc but i just find the extra dollars spent arent worth the added value.

Perfect example of why i dont need a local bike shop is the Zen Garage BMU bike night..... i know they dont happen every day and i know i dont attend them, but if i had to put a bike together or needed help with an issue why wouldnt i just turn up to this event?
    My garage - 88.5 Haro Sport, 2009 Trek Remedy 9 (For Sale)

CRC isnt the problem. The internet is.

CRC have just adapted their buisness model to work on massive turnover and low margin. The internet has made it possible to reach everyone with a internet connection (ie pretty much, everybody)

In saying this I have only ever bought 1 or 2 items from them. There are plenty of on-line shops whos are doing the same thing, both here and overseas (much to the distress of retailers sticking to their guns on a shopfront buisness). Local buisnesses who offer great service and are reasonably competitive on price will most probably survive and do reasonably well. Who cares if it is $10 more when the guy selling it to you, gives you a full run down on how to fit it and what works best along side it. My local guys are like that and I go back there & also recommend them to all my friends.

I work in the Printing industry. 10 or 15 years ago we thought we had a job for life - then came the internet. Printing is a dying industry in this country now. How many here buy and read a newspaper? or do you just read it on your Ipad. CRC are not the big evil here. They have just been fortunate that now there is a lot of trust in online shopping and they have been well positioned to take full advantage of it. Online shopping wasn't always veiwed as a trustworthy option in the early days.

The internet is not going away - addapt or become a Dinosaur.
    Last edited by Greg; 13-11-12 at 02:50 PM.
    The guy riding alone, going the other way.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast